top of page

elloHello

From its inception in 2021, Frolic and Banter has been built upon the principle that small things can bring great happiness. Using as much as possible organic and natural materials in our creations, whether paper, seashells, clay, or even home-grown vegetables, F&B's whimsical work is recognizable and singular.  In just two short years we have grown literally from an enterprise painting vegetables grown on our Monkton farm to a fun and popular source of works made to have meaning for every one of our customers. We make objects out of maps of places dear to our friends' hearts. We make ornaments out of seashells that we have collected by hand on the beach. We grow okra from seed, tend the crops, and harvest the pods for decorating. We use our grandmothers' cookie cutters brought with them when they immigrated to this country to design Christmas tree ornaments. We want you to see yourselves in our work and to be delighted with what you see.

Hello!

Welcome to Frolic and Banter, where we hope you find something to delight you, to surprise you, and most of all, to reflect you. Whether you find an ornament for your tree, some unique jewelry made out of paper, or an unexpected object grown from seed, we hope you see yourself in our art .

TbGG2%HIT2yfis9pu�iw.jpg
6D09C82E-D3A0-4910-A51C-9FBA8ADE8347.jpg
fullsizeoutput_5a6a.jpeg
73EFF6B2-0746-4BE5-949F-FF9EEE919CE8.jpg

My Story

The most common question I'm asked is: "What does Frolic and Banter mean?" I am a retired lawyer who practiced in Baltimore for over 30 years and the term "frolic and banter" is a classic phrase from a case decided way back in 1863 but still taught in law schools today. A "frolic and banter" means something that is not to be taken seriously.

The first product I made when I started F&B was a Santa Claus Christmas tree ornament made from a dried okra pod. I had planted okra on our little Monkton vegetable farm and was so proud of my bumper crop until I showed it to my husband, who immediately announced that he hated okra and had no intentions of eating it.  There I was, with hundreds of okra pods and nothing to do with them, so I stowed them in the greenhouse and promptly forgot about them. Over the fall, the pods dried and when I looked at them, they looked like Santa faces with long beards. So of course...I painted them to look like Santa. Anybody would do that, right? I hung the pods on our Christmas tree and when our friends and family saw them, they loved them and encouraged me to keep making them. From that little idea, and my husband's palate, the cottage industry now known as Frolic and Banter was born. And I am still making okra Santas - which are delightful, and definitely not to be taken seriously.

Contact

I'm always open to discussing custom work. Let's connect.

bottom of page